Monday, April 25, 2011

Current Plans

Recently, I came up with some new plans regarding the Sword of Kirakath and the fanfiction that I've mentioned a few times recently.

In essence, I will be going back in forth from focusing entirely on the fanfic to half focusing on it and half focusing on either a book or the planning of the Sword of Kirakath.

I'll probably start the actual writing of the Sword of Kirakath on May 15th as a result.

But I'm not going to talk about the Sword of Kirakath any further in this post. I want to talk about "A Game of Thrones."

I've started reading it again, and I have to say that I finally understand something a teacher once told me. He said that you learn more from writing that you dislike than writing that you like.

This applies to A Game of Thrones. Don't get me wrong, it's a good book, but the way that Martin delivers it leaves a great deal to be desired.

He starts you off in a world that you don't know much about with occasional hints. But those hints are hard to sort though when he switches characters to focus on every single chapter. It's absolutely maddening.

I thought Jordan and Sanderson (the Wheel of Time) were bad about switching the point-of-view characters. I'll never complain about them again though.

Well, I'm going to continue with this book and hope that it gets better or is easier to stand as it goes on. I do not have much faith that it will though.

Expect another post tonight. I should have a well formulated opinion on this book by then. At that time, I'll also write up a review. If what I've read is any indication- I'm only 60 pages in at the moment- then it will be no more than a three star review.

On one final note, I'd like to recommend The Prophecy, Book I of the Bakkian Chronicles by Jeffrey Poole. What's it about, you ask?

Well, here's the summary on the Amazon page. Jeffrey Poole explains it far better than I do, after all.

"After learning he had inherited an enormous mansion and a huge tract of land from a reclusive set of relatives, Steve Miller, along with his wife Sarah, decide to take a few days off to investigate their new-found fortune in the quiet resort town of northern Idaho, Coeur d’Alene.

While taking inventory of the vast manor, they discover a unique set of doors on the top floor. Mistaking them to be an ornate decoration, the doors are accidentally activated, presenting the two new homeowners with a tantalizing decision: step through or ignore? No harm could possibly befall them by simply walking through an open door, right? Curiosity getting the better of them, they step through, sending both husband and wife on a one-way journey to a land of unimagined wonder!

Realizing they were now stranded on a world populated with creatures that should exist only in one’s imagination, they enlist the aid of the local king and queen. Their troubles continue to escalate, however, as it is revealed their arrival had been long foretold by an ancient local prophecy, bestowing upon them the status of Royal Bodyguards to the young crown prince.

Stuck on a foreign world where mythical creatures abound, trying to avoid being attacked by griffins, and hoping to impress a living, breathing dragon, the newly appointed babysitters must find a way to return home soon before harm could befall the young prince.

Some days it didn't pay to get out of bed."
Here's the link.

No comments: