Monday, April 25, 2011

My Thoughts on A Game of Thrones

Earlier, I left a post in regards to A Game of Thrones and my opinions regarding it.

I should be finished with it by now, but I keep looking for other things to do.

I am now 279 pages into the book, of 858, and I'm deleting the book from my device and my archives. That's quite unusual for me, seeing as how I keep all of my Kindle books on my Kindle.

I honestly do not know how George RR Martin is such a popular writer.

His writing itself is good. I'll be the first one to admit that. He delivers the story like an amateur though, and that's saying something coming from me.

If you want someone to read your books, you don't just need a good storyline, though that's a good thing to have. That's something that Martin has in A Game of Thrones, to be honest.

No... you need characters that people can connect with and actually give a damn about. There are only three characters in the book that I can tolerate. Only one of those is actually on my list of liked characters. What's the point in reading an eight hundred page book when you only like one character, especially when he's not really all that major of a character?

It would be like reading Lord of the Rings just because you like Bilbo Baggins. Sure, he's in the series, but he's a relatively minor character.

I'm not going to review this book because I don't waste time on trash. As far as I'm concerned, that's what A Game of Thrones is.

If you like characters that are so flawed that there is nothing decent about them, going into a tale that is sure to confuse, reading about incestous relations and relations between a fourteen year old girl and a man in his mid twenties at the very least, and a decent storyline, then you might like A Game of Thrones. I, on the other hand, would prefer Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Robert E. Howard, Trudi Canvan, John Flangan, Christopher Paolini, and any of the good indie authors that I've read thus far. I believe that anyone who thinks that Martin is one of the greats of fantasy has never read good fantasy.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: