Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chapter 14 Complete and Some Thoughts

Well, I am finally done with Chapter 14. I've been having some uphill struggles, but I think I'm making good progress thus far.

I don't really want to talk about my progress on the book right now though.

I am still going to talk about my writing, but it isn't about the progress.

So the topic of the day is the point-of-views of my characters.

Despite what I originally thought back when I first started, even third-person point of view books have a point of view character. The few books that completely lack a point of view character are called often "head-hopping" point of views. That's where the author reveals the thoughts of every character.

I used to do that, and it's a great way too expand a 400 page book into a 500 or 600 page book. It is not recommended by anyone though, not even by me.

That said, Through the Flames has five or six point of view characters. In the prologue, it is the central antagonist. At times, it is Caleb. At other times, it is Katie. And at the epilogue, it is a spectral knight. I'll likely have one or two more.

I don't always keep to the same character during a chapter. If I do a scene break, I may focus on the pov of another character. It happened in Chapter 10, as a matter of fact. There are also times when Caleb is knocked out and the person who did it is shown for a little while longer.

The rules behind third point of view writing can be a bit tricky at times. The bright side is that I'm not going to be told by someone that I have to follow them completely for my book to be published.

That said, I do not advocate breaking rules willynilly. Bending them, on the other hand, is fine.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: