Well, I've just finished writing Chapter 1 of Through the Flames, which was a rather annoying process. Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 are the most frustrating chapters of the story from what I can tell. They set the story up, and managing to make them interesting and of decent length is a challenge.
Chapter length is a rather difficult thing to decide on. I've concluded that it's best not to establish a minimum or maximum chapter length. A chapter should be as short or as long as necessary.
Chapter 1 was completed at 2.5k words, which is about five and a half pages typed. On printer paper, at least. There's no telling how long it would be on novel size paper with novel size print. I do have a formula for it, but I prefer not to use it anymore.
On another note, I recently checked out a blog that gives you technical information on how to format a novel for Kindle with the assistance of Mobipocket Creator and Mobipocket Reader. From what I gather, I should be able to use the information to turn my story into a proper e-book when it's done with a linked table of contents, a map of the kingdom that the series is set in, and the whole system of being able to press right on the directional pad of the Kindle to skip to the next chapter.
Here's the website:
It's done through Blogger in a round-about way, which I think's pretty cool.
Anyways, I have decided that I'm going to write the first part of Through the Flames and do my editing on it before I move on to the second part. The first part will only be four chapters, whereas the second and third part will be quite a bit longer. The first part sets up the story though, so that's to be expected.
Thanks for reading, and have a nice day.